Office: Whangarei, Kerikeri
Simon leads our Kerikeri team. He is a commercial lawyer, mediator and a specialist in all aspects of employment and construction law.
With a background in farming and forestry, he prefers a plain-English and practical approach to solving his client’s legal issues.
Simon spent a decade practising in an international and a local firm in Auckland. He has been based in Whangarei since 2017, and splits his time between the Whangarei and Kerikeri offices of WRMK.
Simon helps clients with:
- construction contract and project advice – from residential buildings to international projects
- construction disputes – including defects, variations, payment defaults and delays
- commercial employment advice – documentation, policies, procedures and restructuring
- employment investigations
- employment disputes, personal grievances, litigation and mediation
- Health & Safety advice, documentation, post-incident and prosecution
- general commercial issues e.g. Privacy Act protection, Fair Trading Act advice, and
- Advertising Standards advice.
Simon also offers commercial mediation services. Mediation is a confidential and private way to resolve disputes, by having an independent, neutral third party assist the parties in reaching a negotiated agreement. Mediation can take place as a one day event or may involve a number of meetings between the parties and the mediator.
Simon grew up in Mangakahia. He and his young family decided to move home to Northland before his extended family could begin to call him an “Aucklander”. Outside of work Simon plays hockey and enjoys all the fishing, diving and spearfishing Northland has to offer.
- Advising on the construction contract for a major electricity infrastructure project.
- Commercial negotiations resolving multi-million dollar variations disputes on an international construction project.
- Acting in High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings following the breakdown of a major dairy farming joint venture.
- Acting in a senior management dispute over post-employment competition in the construction industry.
- Advising on a top-down organisational restructuring.
LLB, University of Auckland