As part of WRMK’s thriving team in the North, you will have the opportunity to kick start your legal career, working closely with our valued clients while receiving ongoing training and mentoring.
Our comprehensive and supportive graduate development programme helps our graduate lawyers transition from law student to legal professional. Each year we take on 3-5 new graduate lawyers.
We’re proud to provide a leading graduate induction and training programme, where you’ll learn all about the ins and outs of actually practising law including:
- matter and document management in a digital office
- time recording and billing
- further practical legal skills including conveyancing, trust law and so on
- client service skills
- business development skills
- maintaining wellbeing and resilience, and more.
Training begins with an 8-week intensive induction programme, followed by ongoing fortnightly training sessions tailored for our graduates, as well as participating in other firm and team-wide training initiatives and CPD.
Over the course of your first year, in addition to completing your Professional Legal Studies, you will:
- be actively involved in client relationships (with support) – you’ll become a trusted advisor to your clients
- work on a variety of legal documentation for personal and business clients
- learn to take a big picture view for your clients, advising on a range of matters relating to business and commercial law, property and conveyancing, trusts and life planning, or relationship property, depending on the team that ends up being the best fit for you.
You’ll be matched with a mentor and buddy, and get involved in firm activities such as Relay for Life, fundraisers, social sports or community activities, Focus Groups for legal learning, staff morning teas and learning lunches, and more. Our graduate lawyers will receive a $1,000 clothing allowance to help you make the transition from student life to working life.
You’ll also have access to a range of WRMK staff benefits, such as our banking and mobile phone packages, free legal advice, group health insurance policies, birthday leave and free fruit each week.
Who can apply?
We’re looking for Bachelor of Laws graduates who will be finishing your studies in 2021 (excluding Professional Studies). You’ll also:
- be comfortable with technology and learning new systems
- have very strong attention to detail
- have excellent communication skills and ability to build relationships
- be able to work as part of a team but also show initiative
- be naturally curious and love learning
- have a passion for helping the North grow – whether as a newcomer to the area, or a person returning back to your roots.