When you buy or sell your house you are probably dealing with your most valuable asset.
We have professional, experienced staff who will ensure that these transactions are dealt with in a prompt efficient and friendly manner.
Buying and selling property is becoming more complex and risky all the time with changes to the law. You need a lawyer who is up to date with these things and can stand beside you in a property deal to make sure you get the best deal you can, and don't fall into any traps.
You should get us to check any legal document (including any sale and purchase agreement) before you sign it. We ensure that there is someone always available to do this promptly.
We recommend that you see us first to check all aspects of any deals and that the title is in order, and there is no information held by the local authority which you should know about. You should get a Land Information Memorandum which we can get from the council giving all relevant information it has about the land.
We can help you raise and advise you on the terms of any offers of finance. We know the terms that you should expect and what is reasonable and competitive.
All legal work in our office is done under the guidance of a partner. Where possible we use our experienced legal executives to ensure that the cost to you is kept to a minimum.
Buying or selling a house? Talk to us first
WRMK has significant experience in dealing with the construction industry. We are experts in applying the Construction Contracts Act and the Building Act and importantly we do so from a practical perspective where our focus is on achieving timely and cost effective resolutions for problems arising from within the construction industry.
Our construction team advises clients at every stage of development, from procurement, contract preparation and risk management, through to administering claims and dispute resolution. We act for a large number of construction companies and consultants. Our staff are members of the New Zealand Institute of Builders and provide training seminars to the industry. Please check our website for the upcoming construction seminar details.
The construction industry is governed by the Building Act and the Construction Contracts Act. Both pieces of legislation are complex and potentially risky to contractors and their clients alike. We anticipate that the licensing regime now in place will be problematic and we are from time to time required to give legal advice in this regard. We are experts on the Construction Contracts Act and readily advise our clients on the requirements for payment claims and payment schedules. We can handle major claims under the Act on a very short notice basis.
In respect of leaky buildings, Northland is fortunate that this dilemma is being addressed quicker than in other larger parts of the country. Our team has handled numerous leaky building claims, both in court and in mediation and adjudications under the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service. We act for both plaintiff and claimants and although the Weathertight Homes legislation has almost run its course, claims involving leaky buildings will continue and we are able and willing to assist our clients in that regard.
Our property experts
- Steve Wong Director Property Team Leader | Notary Public, LLB Steve leads our property team, and has a large conveyancing and general practice. Contact
- Tony Savage Director LLB, MBA Tony helps solves business and investment problems. Contact
- Patrick Steuart Director Warkworth Team Leader | LLB Patrick leads our Warkworth team, and is known as a trusted advisor to his clients. Contact
- Vanessa Crosby Consultant LLB Vanessa has a wide ranging practice including estate planning, trusts and property, with particular expertise in subdivisions. Contact
- Ryan Welsh Associate LLB, BSc Ryan graduated from Victoria University with a Bachelor of Science in 1997 and a Bachelor of Laws in 1998. Contact
- Dan Baker Associate MA (Hons) LLB Dan studied law at Waikato University and began his career with Swarbrick Dixon in Hamilton. Contact
- Rosie Allen Senior Lawyer (On parental leave) LLB Rosie is an experienced lawyer with developing specialties in property, subdivisions, small business and commercial leasing. Contact
- Julia Ingham (Lockwood) Senior Lawyer LLB Julia helps clients from Warkworth to Mangawhai on a wide range of matters including property, trusts and commercial law. Contact
- Cheyenne Kumar Lawyer LLB, BCom Cheyenne is a Whangarei local, who practices in the areas of property, relationship property and employment law. Contact
- Lisa Blagrove Legal Executive Legal Executive Diploma Lisa is a legal executive in our property team, focused on helping clients with the process of buying and selling their homes. Contact
- Denise Campbell Legal Executive Registered Legal Executive NZILE Denise is a highly experienced legal executive, with particular expertise with wills and enduring powers of attorney. Contact
- Sara Keay Legal Executive Sara is a member of our property team and our first point of contact for first home buyers. Contact
- Julie Rowland Legal Executive Registered Legal Executive NZILE Originally from Auckland, Julie worked for Webb Ross Johnson for 10 years and completed her Legal Executive qualifications in 1992. Contact
- Vicki Saunders Legal Executive Vicki is based in our Warkworth office, where she assists the team in a variety of legal executive roles. Contact
- Anne Ticehurst Legal Executive (on extended leave) Registered Legal Executive NZILE Anne grew up on the Hibiscus Coast and moved to Northland in 1998. Contact
They listened and helped us through our first experience of trying to buy a house. We are grateful! We did not feel like a number or anyone, we felt valued and important.
Check out our lastest Property service blog posts
Questions? Comments? Please feel free to get in touch & let us impress you with what we have to offer